What Happened In 1940?
40 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1940 History
1. Who was the first African-American to win an Academy Award (Best Supporting Actress)
Hattie McDaniel, for Gone With The Wind.
2. This man was the host of the 1940 Oscars and went on to host it a total of 19 times. Who was he?
3. What is the name of the 1940 American comedy-western film featuring Mae West and W.C. Fields?
My Little Chickadee
4. What was the highest-grossing film of 1940?
5. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1940?
6. How much did a Gallon of Milk cost 1940?
7. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1940?
How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn
8. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1940?
(tie) Frenesi by Artie Shaw OR In The Mood by Glenn Miller OR I’ll Never Smile Again by Tommy Dorsey
9. Who was the Republican Presidential Nominee in 1940?
10. This masked hero sidekick debuted in April 1940…
Robin the Boy Wonder, in Detective Comics #38.
11. This comic book villain debuted in the fourth issue of this Superheros comic book, and he has the same initials as that her’s girlfriend. Name that villain.
Lex Luthor (1st appearance in Superman #4)
12. She made her American film debut in Down Argentine Way and was known for wearing hats made out of fruit. Who was she?
Carmen Miranda (February 9, 1909 – August 5, 1955)
13. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1940: Julian Bond, Jack Nicklaus, Richard Pryor, Danny Trejo, or Al Pacino?
Danny Trejo (born May 16, 1944)
14. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1940?
In 1940, The New York Rangers won over the Toronto Maple Leafs (4 games to 2)
15. Name the best-selling female fiction author of all time.
16. Released in late 1939, what was Agatha Christie’s best selling book?
And Then There Were None
17. How many people lived in the United States in 1940?
The population was an estimated 131,669,275 people.
18. How many people lived in the World in 1940?
The estimated world population in 1940 was 2,300,000,000 people.
19. On May 10, 1940, Winston Churchill became the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister. Who held the position prior to Mr. Churchill?
20. Who was President of the United States in 1940?
Franklin D. Roosevelt (March 4, 1933 – April 12, 1945)
21. What comedy group filmed the first Hollywood parody of Adolf Hitler and the Nazis?
The Three Stooges (in You Nazty Spy!)
22. Nine months later, Charlie Chaplin also wrote, directed and starred in his own parody of Nazi Germany. Name that film.
The Great Dictator
23. This comic book character was seen punching Adolph Hitler in the face on the cover of his first issue before the United States entered World War 2.
24. Two brothers, Richard and Maurice, opened this fast food in San Bernadino, California in 1940…
McDonald’s. Ray Kroc bought it from them in 1955.
25. What World War II event took place between 26 May and 4 June 1940?
The Dunkirk Evacuation (code-named Operation Dynamo, aka the Miracle of Dunkirk)
26. What annual South Dakota Rally began in 1940?
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
27. Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour starred in 7 “Road To…” films. Name the first one.
Road to Singapore
28. How much did a dozen eggs cost in 1940?
29. In 1940, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 60.8 years, Women – 65.2 years.
30. What is the United States’ first long-distance controlled-access highway?
The Pennsylvania Turnpike
31. What cartoon duo made their debut in Puss Gets the Boot?
Tom & Jerry (although not officially named until 1941).
32. Spring of 1940 introduced the American woman with this type of hosiery…
33. This 1940 gameshow debuted on NBC radio but was periodically shown on television from 1950 through 1988…
Truth or Consequences
34. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1940?
$0.18 per gallon
35. Who was the Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1940?
36. Who won the 1940 World Series?
In 1940, The Cincinnati Reds won, beating the Detroit Tigers (4 games to 3)
37. Now considered a classic, this Disney Film took a decade to become profitable.
38. This 1940 Disney film won the Academy Awards for Best Original Song and Best Original Score…
39. Who made Pinocchio a ‘real boy’?
The Blue Fairy (aka Fairy with Turquoise Hair)
40. Before Bugs Bunny was officially named, this hat-wearing cohort was named first. Name that toon.
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. What was Elmer Fudd’s prior nickname for several cartoons from 1937 through 1940?
3. This cartoon bird debuted in 1940’s Knock Knock, but wasn’t named until 1941. Who is he?
4. Who were the 1940 NFL Champions?
5. In Lascaux, France, some 17,000-year-old evidence of human handiwork was found. What were they?
The Lascaux cave paintings
7. A time capsule at Oglethorpe University, Georgia, was sealed shut, with a projected opening date of 8113 CE. What was it named?
The Crypt of Civilization
8. Who said, “I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears and sweat.”?
9. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1940?
10. The cartoon duo Tom and Jerry debuted with other names; what were their original names?
Jasper and Jinx