What Happened In 1926?
26 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1926 History
1. What premiere German automobile company was founded in 1926?
2. How many people lived in the United States in 1926?
The population was an estimated 117,397,000 people.
3. Released in 1923 as “Baby gays”, what do we call them today?
4. What world-famous magician died at the age of 52?
5. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1926?
(tie) Valencia by Paul Whiteman OR The Prisoner’s Song by Vernon Dalhart
6. Who was President of the United States in 1926?
Calvin Coolidge (August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929)
7. Starting as a Christmas seasonal beer, what brand was first sold in 1926?
8. What was the average household income in 1926?
9. What mystery writer disappeared for 11 days?
10. Earning $6,000 a week, who was the highest-paid animal in Hollywood?
Rin Tin Tin
11. What radio network (later television network) debuted?
National Broadcasting Company (NBC)
12. What country sent the United States a birthday card with over 5 Million signatures for its Sesquicentennial (150 years) birthday?
13. Who was the top gangster in the Chicago area?
14. What popular book fictional character, who is still popular today, debuted?
15. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1926?
16. What well known standardized test debuted in 1926?
SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)
17. How much did an average Ford Model T cost in 1926?
18. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1926?
$0.23 per gallon
19. What major American company began a five-day, 40-hour workweek for its employees?
Ford. In 1940, the 40-hour workweek became U.S. law.
20. In 1926, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 55.5 years, Women – 58.0 years.
21. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1926? James Lipton, John Coltrane, Allen Ginsburg or John F. Kennedy?
John F. Kennedy.
22. What popular Hollywood actor and sex symbol died suddenly at the age of only 31?
23. The Gregorian calendar was formed in 1582. What country adapted it in 1926?
24. Who won the 1926 World Series?
In 1926, The St. Louis Cardinals won, beating the New York Yankees (4 games to 3)
25. Who launched the first liquid-fuel rocket, at Auburn, Massachusetts?
26. What automobile brand was introduced by General Motors in 1926? (Hint: It closed in 2010)
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1926?
3. Combining documentary and fiction, what was the first Docufiction film? (Hint: Disney released a film of the same name in 2016)
5. Gertrude “Trudy” Ederle was the first woman to do what?
Swim the English Channel (Hint: About 21 miles)
6. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1926?
Aloma of the South Seas
7. How many movie theaters were in the United States?
9. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1926?
The Private Life of Helen of Troy by John Erskine
10. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1926?
In 1926, The Montreal Maroons won over the Victoria Cougars (3 games to 1)