What Happened In 1969?
69 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1969 History
1. 1969 Catchphrase: Who said “If it weren’t for you meddling kids!”?
Various villains on Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
2. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1969?
Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In by The 5th Dimension
3. Who was the Most Valuable Player of Superbowl III?
Joe Namath (The New York Jets beat the Baltimore Colts, 16–7)
4. In 1969, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 66.8 years, Women – 74.3 years.
5.What company used the slogan: “It’s the real thing”?
6. Name the television game show host who used the catchphrase “Makin’ whoopee”?
Bob Eubanks on The Newlywed Game (1966-1974)
7. This event was billed as “An Aquarian Exposition: 3 Days of Peace & Music”. What is that event better known as?
Woodstock music festival
8. Can you name the artist who was the last act to perform at Woodstock, on Monday, August 18, 1969?
9. How many people lived in the World in 1969?
The estimated world population in 1969 was 3,616,108,749 people.
10. How many people lived in the United States in 1969?
The population was an estimated 202,676,946 people.
11. To the nearest quarter, what was the average movie theater ticket price in 1969?
12. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1969?
13. How much was a dozen eggs in 1969?
14. How much was a pound of pork chops in 1969?
15. Who was President of the United States in 1969?
Lyndon B. Johnson (November 22, 1963 – January 20, 1969) and Richard Nixon (January 20, 1969 – August 9, 1974)
16. Name both actresses (it was a tie) to win the Academy Award for Best Actress.
Barbra Streisand and Katharine Hepburn; both received 3030 votes.
17. Lee Marvin’s Marvin’s Wand’rin Star kept The Beatles at number two in the UK with their single Let It Be. What 1969 film introduced the song?
Paint Your Wagon
18. Name the Australian media mogul who purchased the largest-selling British Sunday newspaper, The News of the World, in 1969.
19. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1969?
In 1969, The Montreal Canadiens won over the St. Louis Blues (4 games to 0)
20. True or False: Prior to 1969, the United States had $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 in circulation.
21. Rock band Led Zeppelin released two albums in 1969. Name the titles of both albums.
Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II
22. This Oscar-winning film was loosely based on the story of Wild West outlaws Robert LeRoy Parker and his partner Harry Longabaugh. Name the film.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
23. Hosted by The Rolling Stones, this concert was billed as a “Woodstock West”.
Altamont Speedway Free Festival
24. This is the only X-rated film (Rated R today) ever to win Best Picture. Name that film.
25. Where did The Beatles give their last public performance?
On the roof of Apple Records, London
26. This popular British surreal sketch comedy group ran for 45 episodes between 1969 and 1974, and also released a series of popular movies.
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
27. The United States Air Force studied unidentified flying objects from 1952 until they announced the closing of the project in late 1969. What was the name of that US Government study?
Project Blue Book
28. What was the Top-Rated TV Show in the 1968/1969 season?
Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In (NBC)
29. The first episode of this daytime television show was possible through the courtesy of the numbers 2 and 3, and the letters E, S, and W. Name that show.
30. What television game show was NOT produced by Mark Goodson and Bill Todman: Jeopardy, He Said, She Said, or Match Game?
Jeopardy! was created by Merv Griffin.
31. On December 17, 1969, who married “Miss Vicky” on The Tonight Show, hosted by Johnny Carson?
32. Who won the Superbowl in 1969?
Super Bowl III | On January 12, 1969 (1968 season), The New York Jets beat the Baltimore Colts (16–7) at Miami Orange Bowl.
33. Who was Superbowl 3’s Most Valuable Player?
1969 MVP Superbowl III Joe Namath, New York Jets
34. On September 2, 1969, Chemical Bank installed WHAT at its branch in Rockville Centre, New York. It was the first of its kind in the United States.
The first ATM (called the “Docuteller”)
35. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1969?
Portney’s Complaint by Philip Roth
36. Who won the 1969 World Series?
In 1969, The New York Mets won, beating the Baltimore Orioles (4 games to 1)
37. Can you name Major League Baseball’s first team outside the United States?
The Montreal Expos
38. What was the name of The Beatles’ 10th studio Album?
HINT: It was also the name of an animated feature film.
39. This cartoon is a showcase of shorts starring what character from the opening credits of a series of live-action comedy films about a bungling detective named Jacques Clouseau. Name the animated character.
The Pink Panther
40. Who composed The Pink Panther Theme for the live-action films, and often in the cartoons?
41. Which member of The Beatles was rumored to be replaced, possibly by “William Campbell”?
42. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1969?
$0.35 per gallon
43. Name the Apollo 11’s lunar module that landed on the Moon’s surface. on July 20, 1969.
44. What future 1970s Sex Symbol was a bachelorette on The Dating Game in 1969?
45. Who replaced retiring United States Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren in 1969?
Warren E. Burger (September 17, 1907 – June 25, 1995)
46. Can you name the first professional soccer football player to score 1,000 goals in a career?
Pelé (Edson Arantes do Nascimento)
47. Founded in 1701, this Ivy League University started admitting women. Name that institution.
48. Who was the only undefeated world heavyweight boxing champion in history?
Rocky Marciano (September 1, 1923 – August 31, 1969)
49. This famous couple married in Gibraltar and had a honeymoon “Bed-In for Peace” in Amsterdam. Name that pair.
John Lennon and Yoko Ono
50. This “jumbo jet” aircraft was first flown in 1969, and it is still in use today.
51. You get one point for each Scooby-Doo character that you can give the first and last names for…
Fred Jones, Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, and Norville “Shaggy” Rogers.
52. Can you name photographer Iain Macmillan’s most famous photograph, taken in 1969? It is one of the most iconic album covers of all time.
Abbey Road (Beatles’ album cover)
53. Based on a 1964 Broadway show, this film follows the story of Dolly Levi, a strong-willed matchmaker who travels to Yonkers, New York. Name that comedy-musical.
54. Two songs from Hello, Dolly! were featured in the 2008 Disney-Pixar film, WALL-E. Name one of them.
Put on Your Sunday Clothes and It Only Takes a Moment
55. Hello, Dolly! was based on a 1958 American film directed by Joseph Anthony. Can you name that comedy?
56. This novel by Mario Puzo went on to become a major film franchise. Name that book.
57. A member of The 27 Club, name the original Rolling Stones member who drowned in his swimming pool at his home in Sussex, England.
58. Saturday morning cartoon, The Wacky Races, produced two spin-off shows in 1969. Name one of them.
(The Perils of) Penelope Pitstop and (Dick) Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines.
59. Alice Nelson, although not related, was the 7th member of this television household in California. Who played the role of this housekeeper on the show?
Ann B. Davis, on The Brady Bunch
60. Who was the first female prime minister of Israel?
Golda Meir (May 3, 1898 – December 8, 1978)
61. What was the highest-grossing film of 1969?
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
62. This film helped John Wayne, as Reuben J. “Rooster” Cogburn, earn his first and only Academy Award. Name it.
True Grit (Wayne reprised his role for the 1975 sequel Rooster Cogburn.)
63. Name the prime-time variety brother who said “Mom always liked you best”?
Tommy Smothers on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (1967-1969)
64. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1969: Dave Grohl, Jamie Foxx, Marilyn Manson, or Jesse L. Martin?
Jamie Foxx (born December 13, 1967)
65. Who was the Time Magazine Man and Woman of the Year in 1969?
“Middle Americans” (The Silent Majority)
66. What cartoon mystery show debuted on (CBS) on September 13, 1969?
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
67. What type of creature was live-action Saturday morning character H.R. Pufnstuf?
68. What popular syndicated talk show debuted in 1969?
The Phil Donahue Show
69. Name the Disney film based on the 1961 book Car, Boy, Girl by Gordon Buford.
The Love Bug
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. What was the second highest-grossing film of 1969, earning over $50 million at the domestic box office?
The Love Bug
2. What was the name of Dudley Do-Right’s horse?
3. Name the classic 1969 independent road drama film that featured Karen Black, Toni Basil, and Phil Spector in small roles?
4. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1969?
5. What popular country music/ comedy /variety show debuted on June 15, 1969?
6. Who were the 1969 NBA Champions?
For the 1968-69 Season, Champion Boston Celtics won 4 games to 3 over the Los Angeles Lakers
7. Sisters Helen, Betty, and Dot Wiggin of Fremont, New Hampshire, recorded an album named Philosophy of the World, and some people say it was the worst album ever produced. Name the band.
9. Name the television variety show that ended every episode with ” “Good night, Dick!”?
Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In