What Happened In 1920?
20 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1920 History
1. What movie studio was founded by Samuel Goldwyn and Louis B. Mayer?
2. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1920?
( tie) Swanee by Al Jolson OR Dardanella by Ben Selvin OR Whispering by Paul Whiteman
3. In 1920, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 53.6 years, Women – 61.8 years.
4. Soft drinks and tea rooms in America became very popular after what became law?
Prohibition, which went into effect in America on January 16, 1920,
5. What Yankees player set the Major League Baseball Record with 52 Home Runs?
6. Who won the 1920 World Series?
In 1920, The Cleveland Indians won, beating the Brooklyn Robins (5 games to 2)
7. What American newspaper mocked rocket scientist Robert H. Goddard after he said rockets could take men to the moon?
The New York Times
8. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1920?
In 1920, The Ottawa Senators won over the Seattle Metropolitans (3 games to 2)
9. How many people lived in the United States in 1920?
The population was an estimated 106,461,000 people.
10. How many people lived in the World in 1920?
The estimated world population in 1920 was 1,860,000,000 people.
11. Made of peanuts, caramel, and milk chocolate-flavored nougat, covered in chocolate, what popular candy bar was introduced?
12. Who was President of the United States in 1920?
Woodrow Wilson (March 4, 1913 – March 4, 1921)
13. How much did an average Ford Model T cost in 1920?
$395 to $550
14. Before renaming themselves The National Football League in 1922, what did the pro football league call themselves?
American Professional Football Association (APFA)
15. What was the average household income in 1920?
$3,269.40 per year
16. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1920?
$0.30 per gallon
17. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1920?
The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey
18. What law prohibited manufacture, sale or transportation of intoxicating liquors in the United States?
The Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution
19. How much did a pound of bacon cost in 1920?
20. What huge Hollywood couple were married on March 27, 1920?
Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford. Their home was called Pickford.
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1920?
Way Down East
2. What were the anti-communist raids run by the U.S. Dept. of Justice called?
The Palmer Raids, named after Attorney General Palmer.
3. Raggedy Andy was introduced in 1920. What was his relationship with Raggedy Ann?
4. Who was the Baby Ruth candy bar named after?
NOT baseball’s Babe Ruth- it was named after President Grover Cleveland’s daughter, Ruth Cleveland.
In reality, they named it after her so they would not have to pay any royalties to the baseball star.
5. Who was the Pope in 1920?
Pope Benedict XV, September 3, 1914 – January 22, 1922
6. Who was the American Vice-President in 1920?
Thomas R. Marshall (March 4, 1913 – March 4, 1921)
7. How much time did the average housewife spend preparing meals and cleaning every week?
8. Held in Antwerp, Belgium, how many medals did the US win in the 1920 Summer Olympics?
41 Gold, 27 Silver, 27 Bronze.
9. What major country did NOT join the League of Nations when it formed in 1920?
The United States.
10. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1920?