- World Changing Event: The Bitcoin (BTC) was created. It had virtually zero value in 2009 but peaked at 39 cents in 2010.
- 10,000 BTC were used to buy 2 Papa John Pizzas.
- The Top Song was I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
- Influential Songs include: The Fear by Lily Allen, I Dreamed A Dream by Susan Boyle, The Climb by Miley Cyrus, and Chasing Pavements by Adele
- The Movies to Watch include Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, The Hurt Locker, Avatar, Up, Watchmen, Sherlock Holmes, and District 9
- The Most Famous Person in America was probably Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger
- People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive: Johnny Depp
- Notable books include: The Help by Kathryn Stockett and Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt
- Price of an Element MP3 player, 4GB: $39.99
Apple iPod Nano: $149.00
Minimum Wage in 2009: $7.25 per hour*
*some states higher
- The Funny Guy was: Larry the Cable Guy
The Funny Late Night Host (1/2 year): Conan O’Brien
- The Viral Video: JK Wedding Entrance Dance… The wedding procession for Jill Peterson and Kevin Heinz of St. Paul, Minnesota, choreographed to the song Forever by Chris Brown.
- After 74 years of production, Kodak stopped selling 35mm color film in 2009.
- Rare Video Game: Mean Girls on DS, a game based on a movie starring Lindsay Lohan.
- The Conversion Rate: Singer Lily Allen turned down 200,000 in Bitcoins for a gig in 2009, about $2,000 (1 cent each) in cash value then. As of November 2017, it was worth over $1.3 Billion. (current value)
Top Ten Baby Names of 2009:
Isabella, Emma, Olivia, Sophia, Ava, Jacob, Ethan, Michael, Alexander, William
The Hotties and Fashion Icons:
Bar Refaeli, Adriana Lima, Jordana Brewster, Megan Fox, Jessica Biel, Christina Aguilera, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Eliza Dushku, Malin Akerman, Rihanna, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Leighton Meester
The Leading Men & Hunks:
Taylor Lautner, Channing Tatum, Hugh Laurie, David Beckham, Joe Manganiello, Ryan Reynolds, Robert Pattinson, Tim Tebow, Antonio Sabàto, Jr.
“If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.”
“You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack… it grew by one. So there… there were two of us in the wolf pack… I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, “Wait a second, could it be?” And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!”
– Alan, from The Hangover
Time Magazine’s Person of the Year:
Miley Cyrus almost had to dish out $4,000 to every Asian and Pacific Islander living in Los Angeles County in 2009. A racial discrimination lawsuit was filed by Lucie J. Kim claiming a picture of the singer pulling back her eyelids had broken the law. It was dismissed by the judge.
Golfer Tiger Woods allegedly took part in extramarital affairs wit up to ten women including Playboy model Loredana Jolie and porn star Holly Sampson.
Chris Brown’s battery charges against Rihanna and the shocking picture of her black eye that surfaced on the internet.
Richard and Mayumi Heene of Fort Collins, Colorado claimed their 6-year-old child was trapped inside a gas balloon that floated up to altitudes of 7,000 feet. The incident received mass media attention but turned out to be a hoax.
Kanye West did not let Taylor Swift finish at the MTV VMA awards and interrupted her during her acceptance speech.
Michael Jackson, The King of Pop, died while preparing for a series of concerts. Prosecutors continue to question Jackson’s doctor, Conrad Murry, about whether or not he prescribed Jackson a fatal dosage of Propofol.
Presidents Obama(USA) and Sarkozy (FRance) noticed this young woman. French presidents are known for ‘noticing’ pretty young women, but American presidents normally don’t get photographed in such positions.
January 20, 2009 (Tuesday) First inauguration of Barack Obama
Pop Culture Facts:
Inventions included Foldable Speakers and Bladeless Fans.
Melissa and her husband Jackson Brandts were exploring Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park, Canada, when a ground squirrel photobombed their timed picture.
Cost of a Superbowl ad in 2009: $3,000,000
Watching Avatar in theaters
2009 Toys inducted to the National Toy Hall of Fame:
The Ball, Game Boy, Big Wheel
1st appearances & 2009’s Most Popular Christmas gifts, toys and presents:
Zhu Zhu Pet hamsters, Bakugan Battle Brawlers New Vestroia Maxus Helios 7-in-1
East End Show – Thriller – Live (revival) Opened on January 26, 2009
Broadway Show – Rock of Ages (Musical) Opened on April 7, 2009 and Closed: January 18, 2015
Broadway Show – Memphis (Musical) Opened on October 19, 2009 and Closed: August 5, 2012
Best Film Oscar Winner:
The Hurt Locker (Presented in 2010)
2009 Entries to The National Film Registry:
Dog Day Afternoon (released in 1975)
The Exiles (released in 1961)
Heroes All (released in 1920)
Hot Dogs for Gauguin (released in 1972)
The Incredible Shrinking Man (released in 1957)
Jezebel (released in 1938)
The Jungle (released in 1967)
The Lead Shoes (released in 1949)
Little Nemo (released in 1911)
Mabel’s Blunder (released in 1914)
The Mark of Zorro (released in 1940)
Mrs. Miniver (released in 1942)
The Muppet Movie (released in 1979)
Once Upon a Time in the West (released in 1968)
Pillow Talk (released in 1959)
Precious Images (released in 1986)
Quasi at the Quackadero (released in 1975)
The Red Book (released in 1994)
The Revenge of Pancho Villa (released in 1930/1936)
Scratch and Crow (released in 1995)
Stark Love (released in 1927)
The Story of G.I. Joe (released in 1945)
A Study in Reds (released in 1932)
Michael Jackson’s Thriller (released in 1983)
Under Western Stars (released in 1938)
The Big Movies: (according to boxofficemojo)
2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon
6. The Hangover
7. Star Trek
8. The Blind Side
9. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
10. Sherlock Holmes
2009 Most Popular TV shows:
1. NCIS (CBS)
2. Sunday Night Football (NBC)
3. Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
4. The Mentalist (CBS)
5. NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
6. CSI (CBS)
7. Desperate Housewives (ABC)
8. Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
9. House (Fox)
10. CBS NFL Postgame
World Series Champions: New York Yankees
Superbowl Champions: Pittsbugh Steelers
NBA Champions: Los Angeles Lakers
Stanley Cup Champs: Pittsburgh Penguins
U.S. Open Golf Lucas Glover
U.S. Tennis: (Men/Ladies) Juan Martin del Potro/Kim Clijsters
Wimbledon (Men/Women): Roger Federer/Serena Williams
NCAA Football Champions: Alabama
NCAA Basketball Champions: North Carolina
Kentucky Derby: Mine That Bird