What happened in 1937?
Pop Culture Quiz!
37 Trivia Questions for 1937 History
1. What was the highest-grossing film of 1937?
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1937?
Sweet Leilani by Bing Crosby
3. At the time of it’s opening on May 27, 1937, it was both the longest and the tallest suspension bridge in the world. Name that bridge.
San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge
4. In 1937, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 58 years, Women – 62.4 years.
5. In 1937, her divorce was finalized, so she was free to marry the former British king Edward, Duke of Windsor. Who was she?
Wallis Simpson. They were married at the Château de Candé in Monts, France in June.
6. This cartoon character first appeared in the Looney Tunes animated short Porky’s Duck Hunt. Who was he?
7. This 1936 Marx Brothers film featured Groucho Marx as Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush.
A Day At The Races
8. How many people lived in the United States in 1937?
The population was an estimated 128,824,829 people.
9. Who was the high profile American who visited Nazi Germany with his wife, and did some spying while he was there?
Charles Lindbergh (with his wife, Anne)
10. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1937?
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
11. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1937: Vanessa Redgrave, Roberta Flack, Yoko Ono, Jack Nicholson or Saddam Hussein?
Yoko Ono (born February 18, 1933)
12. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1937?
13. The basic ingredients include ham, pork, and this canned product was introduced by the Hormel Corporation in 1937. What is it?
14. This 1937 book started an empire that included books, adaptations and Oscar-winning movies. Name the book and author.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
15. Who was President of the United States in 1937?
Franklin D. Roosevelt (March 4, 1933 – April 12, 1945)
16. Which president’s head was dedicated at Mount Rushmore on September 17, 1937? HINT: He was the third head to be completed.
17. What was the name of Ernest Hemingway’s novel about Harry Morgan, a fishing boat captain out of Key West, Florida?
To Have and Have Not.
18. Nicknamed the “Blonde Bombshell” and the “Platinum Blonde”, this sex symbol died too soon at the age of 26…
19. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1937?
In 1937, The Detroit Red Wings won over the New York Rangers (3 games to 2)
20. What soap opera began on NBC radio in 1937, switch to television in 1952, and was finally canceled in 2009?
21. In this air disaster, 13 passengers and 22 crew died, along with someone on the ground. What was this terrible event?
The Hindenburg Disaster
22. Over 20,000,000 Americans began participating in this government program. Name that government entitlement.
23. What was the title of John Steinbeck’s novella of the Great Depression?
Of Mice and Men
24. This man set a new record non-stop transcontinental flight from Los Angeles to New York in 7 hours, 28 minutes and 25 seconds. He beat his 1936 record by nearly 2 hours.
25. This 1937 film starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, has been remade three times; in 1954, 1976 and 2018.
A Star is Born
26. This magazine debuted to compete with Life Magazine, focusing on pictures, also in a large format.
Look Magazine. The final issue was on October 19, 1971.
27. At 11 feet tall, and over 25 feet wide, this gray, black and white painting by Pablo Picasso is his largest and probably most well-known painting. What did he call it?
Guernica. It can be seen in the Museo Reina Sofia in Madrid, Spain.
28. Debuting with its first issue in March 1937, it went on the become the longest-running comic book title in history. Name that comic book.
Detective Comics. Batman debuted in the 27th issue.
29. What is the name of Dr. Seuss’s first children’s book?
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
30. Who was the Time Magazine Man & Wife of the Year in 1937?
Chiang Kai-shek and Soong Mei-ling
31. Guarded 24 hours per day by soldiers of the US Army, what is the name of the monument in Arlington, Virginia?
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
32. On June 14, 1937, what was the first state to make Flag Day an official state holiday?
33. Who won the 1937 World Series?
In 1937, The New York Yankees won, beating the New York Giants (4 games to 1)
34. What is the name of the roadway between Weehawken, New Jersey and Midtown Manhattan, New York City?
The Lincoln Tunnel
35. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1937?
$0.20 per gallon
36. What was the musical stage comedy that gave us several hit songs including My Funny Valentine and The Lady is a Tramp?
Babes in Arms by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.
37. Nicknamed the “Brown Bomber” who became the heavyweight boxing champion?
Joe Louis was champion from June 22, 1937 to March 1, 1949.
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. Who did Joe Louis defeat to become the world heavyweight boxing champion on June 22, 1937?
James J. Braddock
3. Who were the 1937 NFL Champions?
4. On July 2, 1937, Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappear after taking off from New Guinea. Amelia was married. What was her full married name?
Amelia Earhart Putnam
6. Where did the NFL Washington Redskins play before they moved to Washington?
Boston (Boston Redskins)
7. What was the name of the 1937 National Football League team in Cleveland?
8. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1937?
9. Who was the highest-paid adult star in Hollywood in 1937?
Gary Cooper -$370,214. #2 was Mae West -$323.333.
10. Who won the US Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing in 1937?