What Happened In 1931?
31 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1931 History
2. This 1931 silent romantic comedy film written, produced, directed by, and starring the same guy is considered by many people as one the greatest films of all time…
City Lights by Charlie Chaplin
3. In 1931, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 59.4 years, Women – 63.1 years.
4. What 98-foot tall statue, 92 feet wide, overlooking the city of Rio de Janeiro, was dedicated in 1931?
Christ the Redeemer
5. What was the highest-grossing film of 1931?
6. The is earliest confirmed use of THIS word used in Disney’s Mary Poppins, appeared in the Syracuse Daily Orange. What word?
7. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1931?
Good Night, Sweetheart by Wayne King OR The Peanut Vendor by Don Azpiazu
8. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1931?
9. What was the first state in the United States to have legalized casino gambling as of March 19, 1931?
10. Signed in 1929, relative to the treatment of prisoners of war, what document entered into force?
The Geneva Convention
11. What major power in World War II did NOT ratify The Geneva Convention?
12. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1931?
In 1931, The Montreal Canadiens won over the Chicago Black Hawks (3 games to 2)
13. How many people lived in the United States in 1931?
The population was an estimated 124,039,648 people.
14. First shown in Paris at the Galerie Pierre Colle, The Persistence of Memory is the work or what surrealist artist?
15. Early proponents of this musical invention included Les Paul and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. What invention?
The Electric Guitar
16. What New York Skyscraper opened on May 1, 1931?
The Empire State Building
17. What is the name of the effervescent antacid and pain reliever, first sold in 1931
18. Who was President of the United States in 1931?
Herbert Hoover (March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933)
19. What was the average household income in 1931?
20. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1931?
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
21. What was the Biggest Hit for Cab Calloway and His Orchestra?
Minnie the Moocher
22. Who won the 1931 World Series?
In 1931, The St. Louis Cardinals won, beating the Philadelphia Athletics (4 games to 3)
23. What well-known criminal was convicted on three counts of income tax evasion on October 17, 1931, and sentenced to 11 years in federal prison?
24. Who was the Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1931?
25. What 1931 gangster film made James Cagney a bonafide movie star?
The Public Enemy
26. How much did an average Ford Model A cost in 1931?
$495 (Town Car $1400)
27. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1931?
$0.17 per gallon
28. What river flooded in Chain, killing about 3.7 million people in total, the worst natural disaster of the 20th century.
The Yangtze River
29. What did The Star-Spangled Banner become in 1931?
The official National anthem of the United States.
30. Who was the star of 1931’s Dracula?
31. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1931: James Dean, Alfred Hitchcock, James Earl Jones or Mikhail Gorbachev,?
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. What comic strip detective character made his debut appearance in the Detroit Mirror newspaper?
Dick Tracy, created by cartoonist Chester Gould
3. What high-performance sports car company was founded in Stuttgart, Germany?
4. What tire and rubber brand was founded in Kurume, Kyushu Island, Japan?
6. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1931?
7. What did Seventeen-year-old female baseball pitcher Jackie Mitchell do in succession during an exhibition baseball game?
She struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
8. Formerly known as The Watchtower Society, what religious group changed their name in 1931?
10. What was the full title of Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein novel?
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus.