What happened in 1930?
Pop Culture Quiz!
30 Trivia Questions for 1930 History
1. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1930?
Stein Song (University of Maine) by Rudy Vallee
2. What was the average household income in 1930?
3. Who won the US Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing in 1930?
4. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1930?
Cimarron by Edna Ferber
5. In 1930, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 58.1 years, Women – 61.6 years.
6. What famous food did Ruth Wakefield of Whitman, Massachusetts create in 1930?
The Chocolate Chip Cookie (aka “Toll House Cookie”)
7. What was the highest-grossing film of 1930?
8. What cartoon caricature of a Jazz Age flapper debuted in 1930?
9. Who was President of the United States in 1930?
Herbert Hoover (March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933)
10. What became the tallest building in the world on May 27, 1930?
The Chrysler Building in New York City. The Empire State Building became the tallest building on April 11, 1931.
11. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1930?
In 1930, The Montreal Canadiens won over the Boston Bruins (2 games to none)
12. Lamont Cranston, a “wealthy young man-about-town,” is also known as what masked pulp magazine character?
13. What is The Shadow’s catchphrase?
(Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?) The Shadow knows.
14. What famous cartoon dog was introduced in 1930?
15. How many people lived in the United States in 1930?
The population was an estimated 123,076,741 people.
16. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1930?
17. How many people lived in the World in 1930?
The estimated world population in 1930 was 2,070,000,000 people.
18. Selling for ~ $120.00, what did the Galvin Corporation introduce for car buyers?
The first commercial car radio (Motorola model 5T71).
19. Who did the Chicago Crime Commission declare as “Public Enemy Number 1”?
20. What did Clyde Tombaugh discover in 1930?
Pluto (the dwarf planet)
21. Starring Groucho as Captain Jeffrey T. Spaulding, what Marx Brothers movie debuted on August 23, 1930?
22. Who won the 1930 World Series?
In 1930, The Philadelphia Athletics won, beating the St. Louis Cardinals (4 games to 2)
23. This snack started out with banana creme in 1930 and is still popular today…
24. Considered the messiah by many Rastafarians, who became emperor of Ethiopia on November 2, 1930?
25. Who was the Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1930?
26. What did the 3M company introduce in 1930?
27. What comic strip debuted on January 13, 1930, and ran until July 29, 1995.
28. How much did an average Ford Model A cost in 1930?
$495 (Town Car $1400)
29. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1930?
$0.20 per gallon
30. What classic sandwich was invented in South Philadelphia in 1930?
The steak sandwich. Cheesesteaks came into being shortly after.
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. Who is generally credit with making the first steak sandwich?
Philadelphia hot dog vendor Pat Olivieri.
2. Who was the Pope in 1930?
Pope Pius XI, February 6, 1922 – February 10, 1939
3. R.H. Naylor provided what for the United Kingdom’s Sunday Express, on August 24, that became a staple in newspapers all over the world?
The Horoscope, for newly born Princess Margaret. It became daily later in 1930.
4. What real-life human was cartoon character Betty Boop based on?
Helen Kane, who took a similar routine from Baby Esther, a child entertainer.
5. Who was the American Vice-President in 1930?
Charles Curtis (March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933)
6. On April 18, 1930, what broadcast company said “Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news.”
BBC Radio. Then they played piano music for 15 minutes.
7. What team won the FIFA World Cup in 1930?
8. What did Warner Brothers collectively call their cartoon shorts in 1930?
Looney Tunes. Merrie Melodies came out in 1931.
9. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1930?
10. What set of strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in films for the next 40 years began in 1930?
The Hays Code (Motion Picture Production Code), although it wasn’t strictly enforced until 1934.