What Happened In 1928?
28 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1928 History
2. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1928?
Sonny Boy – Al Jolson
3. In 1928, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 55.6 years, Women – 58.3 years.
4. This book, written by A.A. Milne, is best known for introducing Tigger.
The House at Pooh Corner.
5. What was Mickey Mouse’s first cartoon, with sound?
6. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1928?
In 1928, The New York Rangers won over the Montreal Maroons (3 games to 2)
7. Who was the FBI agent assigned to head the enforcement of prohibition in Chicago?
8. What is the best-known name for this toy, also described as a ‘Whirligig’ or ‘Tagalog’?
9. How many people lived in the United States in 1928?
The population was an estimated 120,509,000 people.
10. Who lead the FBI’s prohibition unit in Chicago?
11. What is the name of the lion used to represent MGM Studios?
Leo the lion. (The lion’s real name was ‘Slats’ until 1928, and ‘Jackie’ from 1928-1956, although always nicknamed ‘Leo’)
12. Who was President of the United States in 1928?
Calvin Coolidge (August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929)
13. What compartmental device for liquids was invented by Lloyd Groff Copeman?
The Ice Cube Tray
14. What American company was a sponsor for the 1928 Olympic Games? (hint: They still sponsor the games today)
15. What was the average household income in 1928?
16. Who was the first woman to make a successful transatlantic flight, as a passenger?
17. In 1928, The Boulder Dam Project Act was signed into law. What do we call the dam that was actually completed today?
The Hoover Dam
18. Still in business today, what electric men’s personal device was invented?
The electric razor was invented in 1928 by Col. Jacob Schick.
19. What easy to wear men’s clothing accessory was invented in 1928?
The Clip-on Tie
20. How much did an average Ford Model A cost in 1928?
$495 (Town Car $1400)
21. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1928?
$0.21 per gallon
22. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1928? William Shatner, Judith Krantz, Vidal Sasson or Philip K. Dick
William Shatner (born March 22, 1931)
23. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1928?
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
24. It started in Europe, in the 1920s; what artistic style became popular in the United States?
25. Who won the 1928 World Series?
In 1928, The New York Yankees won, beating the St. Louis Cardinals (4 games to 0)
26. What did Alexander Fleming discover on Friday, September 28, 1928?
27. Who launched the first of several “five-year plans” that failed in the USSR?
28. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1928?
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. Who showed the world the first working all-electronic television system, in San Francisco?
3. Held in St. Moritz, Switzerland, how many medals did the US win in the 1928 Winter Olympics?
2 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze.
4. Held in Amsterdam, Netherlands, how many medals did the US win in the 1928 Summer Olympics?
22 Gold, 18 Silver, 16 Bronze.
5. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1928?
6. The first trans-Pacific flight took place between what two countries?
Charles Kingsford Smith made the first transpacific flight from the United States to Australia.
7. Who was the Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1928?
9. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1927?
The Singing Fool
10. What large medical device, largely replaced by ventilators, was invented in 1928?
The Iron Lung (Negative pressure ventilator)