What happened in 1927?
Pop Culture Quiz!
27 Trivia Questions for 1927 History
1. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1927?
The Jazz Singer
2. Who (or what) was the first giant balloon in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?
Felix the Cat
3. What major Swedish car company debuted in 1927?
4. In 1927, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 59 years, Women – 62.1 years.
5. Who was President of the United States in 1927?
Calvin Coolidge (August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929)
6. Over 2 1/2 miles long, what passageway between New Jersey and New York opened?
The Holland Tunnel
7. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1927?
(tie) My Blue Heaven by Gene Austin OR In A Little Spanish Town by Paul Whiteman
8. What was the average household income in 1927?
9. Georges Lemaître, a Catholic priest, first proposed what astronomical idea?
The Big Bang Theory
10. What tasty powdered drink was invented by Edwin Perkins in Hastings, Nebraska?
11. Directed by Fritz Lang, what German science fiction classic was released?
12. What radio (and later television) network debuted in 1927?
The Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)
13. Who was issued a pilot’s license from the United States government in 1927? (Hint: He does not use an airplane)
14. How many people lived in the United States in 1927?
The population was an estimated 119,035,000 people.
15. What world population milestone was reached in 1927?
2,000,000,000 (2 Billion) people
16. Who gained international fame as the first pilot to fly solo and non-stop across the Atlantic Ocean, flying from New York to Paris in his single-engine airplane?
17. What was the name of Charles Lindbergh’s airplane?
The Spirit of St. Louis. The flight took place over May 20/21, 1927.
18. Who won the 1927 World Series?
In 1927, The New York Yankees won, beating the Pittsburgh Pirates (4 games to 0)
19. What Yankees player set the Major League Baseball Record with 60 Home Runs?
20. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1927?
In 1927, The Ottawa Senators won over the Boston Bruins (2–0–2)
21. How much did a dozen eggs cost in 1927?
22. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1927? Martin Luther King Jr., Gina Lollobrigida, Eartha Kitt or Bob Fosse
Martin Luther King Jr.
23. Who was the Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1927?
24. After Leon Trotsky was expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, who took over?
25. What ford car replaced the Ford Model T in 1927?
The Ford Model A.
26. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1927?
$0.21 per gallon
27. What Hollywood actress made a film called “It”, which later became her nickname: The It Girl?
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. Who was the Pope in 1927?
Pope Pius XI, February 6, 1922 – February 10, 1939
2. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1927?
Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis
3. Hans Nilson Langseth (July 14, 1846 -November 10, 1927) died with the world’s longest WHAT?
4. Who was the American Vice-President in 1927?
Charles G. Dawes (March 4, 1925 – March 4, 1929)
5. What was invented by Charles Brannock in 1927?
The foot-measuring tool (“Brannock Device”) used in shoe stores
6. Who said, “I do not choose to run for president in 1928”?
7. What two cities did Charles Lindbergh fly between to make the first trans-Atlantic flight?
New York City and Paris
8. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1927?
9. What kind of electric clock was an improvement over the standard mechanical clock?
The Quartz Clock
10. What medal did US President Calvin Coolidge presented what honor to Lindbergh after his flight?
Distinguished Flying Cross Medal