What Happened In 1925?
25 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1925 History
1. Who was President of the United States in 1925?
Calvin Coolidge (August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929)
2. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1925?
(tie) I’ll See You in My Dreams by Isham Jones and Ray Miller OR Yes Sir! That’s My Baby by Gene Austin
3. What is the longest-running radio broadcast in US history?
The Grand Ole Opry (based in Nashville, Tennessee)
4. Focused on New York City, what publication debuted in 1925?
The New Yorker
5. Who won the 1925 World Series?
In 1925, The Pittsburgh Pirates won, beating the Washington Senators (4 games to 3)
6. What car company used the slogan: “Ask the Man Who Owns One”?
7. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1925?
8. Later the theme for basketball legends The Harlem Globetrotters, what song was written and released in 1925?
Sweet Georgia Brown by Ben Bernie and Maceo Pinkard,
9. What was the average household income in 1925?
10. How many people lived in the United States in 1925?
The population was an estimated 115,829,000 people.
11. Although now known as an American chain of hotels and motels, what company started out as a restaurant in 1925?
Howard Johnson’s (Hint: 28 flavors of Ice Cream)
12. What company used the slogan: “Often a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride”?
13. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1925?
In 1925, The Victoria Cougars won over the Montreal Canadiens (3 games to 1)
14. In 1925, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 57.6 years, Women – 60.6 years.
15. What temporary roadside accommodations began appearing in 1924?
Motels (Motorists Hotel). The Milestone Mo-Tel opened in San Luis Obispo, California
16. How much did a dozen eggs cost in 1925?
17. Which celebrity was NOT born in 1925? Margaret Thatcher, Johnny Carson, Malcolm X or Marilyn Monroe?
Marilyn Monroe was born in 1926.
18. What famous trial took place in Dayton, Tennessee, in which a high school teacher, John Scopes, was accused of violating Tennessee’s Butler Act?
The Scopes Monkey Trial, regarding teaching the theory of evolution in public schools. William Jennings Bryan, argued for the prosecution, while Clarence Darrow, the famed defense attorney, spoke for Scopes.
19. What (now) considered to be a literary classic book didn’t get recognized until World War II?
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
20. The Maxwell Motor Company was founded in 1904, but in 1925 it was reorganized into what other American car company?
21. Authorized in 1925, what oversized National Memorial features George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln?
Mount Rushmore. It was completed in 1941.
22. A popular mail-order catalog company opened its first store in Chicago. What was the name of that store?
Sears, Roebuck and Co. (Sears)
23. How much did an average Ford Model T cost in 1925?
24. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1925?
$0.22 per gallon
25. What invention was introduced to help painters by the 3M Company?
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
1. Later the first home of the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders, what California stadium opened in 1925?
2. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1925?
Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
3. Name the 5 primary ingredients ina Reuben Sandwich…
Meat, Sauerkraut, (Swiss) cheese, Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing and rye bread.
4. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1925?
5. What popular fad did the Chicago Department of Public Health say “caused no ill health effects from headaches or eye strain”?
8. What honor did Nellie Tayloe Ross and Ma Ferguson share?
Nellie Tayloe Ross was the first female governor in the United States (Wyoming). Twelve days later, Ma Ferguson became the second (Texas).
9. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1925?
Soundings by A. Hamilton Gibbs