What Happened In 1924?
24 Trivia Questions and Answers for 1924 History
1. They call it “The World’s Largest parade” – What is it?
Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
2. In 1924, what was the average life expectancy in the United States?
Men – 58.1 years, Women – 61.5 years.
3. Los Angeles resident Lionel C. Sternberger invented what hot sandwich?
4. What professional sports team debuted in Boston?
The Boston Bruins
5. How much did a Loaf of Bread cost in 1924?
6. Who proved that Andromeda was a Galaxy, and NOT a Nebula?
7. What 1924 invention obtains information about the electrical function of the heart.
Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
8. What was the Biggest Number One Song of 1924?
(tie) California, Here I Come! – Al Jolson OR It Ain’t Gonna Rain No Mo’ by Wendell Hall
9. What was the average household income in 1924?
10. Who won the 1924 World Series?
In 1924, The Washington Senators won, beating the New York Giants (4 games to 3)
11. What was the highest-grossing movie of 1924?
The Sea Hawk
12. How much did an average Ford Model T cost in 1924?
13. How much did a gallon of gas cost in 1924?
$0.21 per gallon
14. Who won the Stanley Cup in 1924?
In 1924, The Montreal Canadiens won over the Calgary Tigers (2 games to none)
15. What first-time aviation feat did Lowell H. Smith, Leslie P. Arnold, Erik H. Nelson and John Harding Jr. complete in 1924?
The first aerial circumnavigation of the world. (All served in the United States Army Air Service)
16. How much did a dozen eggs cost in 1924?
17. How many people lived in the United States in 1924?
The population was an estimated 114,109,000 people.
18. Who was President of the United States in 1924?
Calvin Coolidge (August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1929)
19. Now represented by Leo the Lion, what motion picture company was founded in 1924?
MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios)
20. What is MGM’s official motto?
“Ars Gratia Artis” (Art for art’s sake)
Trivia Team Bonus Questions:
2. What was Chicago’s first air-conditioned office building?
The Wrigley Building
4. The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR), in New York, changed their name to what in 1924?
International Business Machines (IBM)
5. What was the Bestselling Fiction Book in 1924?
So Big by Edna Ferber
6. What movie company was founded by Harry and Jack Cohn, along with Joe Brandt?
7. What Horse won the Kentucky Derby in 1924?
8. Held in Chamonix France, how many medals did the US win in the 1924 Winter Olympics?
1 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze.
9. Held in Paris, France, how many medals did the US win in the 1924 Summer Olympics?
45 Gold, 27 Silver, 27 Bronze.